Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Music at iCompositions and Consemble

I'm having a lot of fun making music again for the first time in decades and it's all because of iCompositions and Garage Band. For most of my life, I struggled with recording equipment (how to afford it, where to set it up, how to use it, etcetera)... then Garage Band came along. My Digio1 and ProTools never really got used but my macs with GB installed are getting used practically every day. It's easier than I would have believed to record vocal tracks with a fairly low noise component, even in rooms which are not 'clean'. After using SoundSoap on the files, they sound almost perfect (perfect being studio quality). That's just amazing.

After I started using GB to record myself again, I found iCompositions, an online community of musicians and listeners which grew out of people's love for GB. It's an international community full of people with diverse backgrounds creating music in all genres and it's easy to upload music there, share it, discuss it, and - even better - find people to collaborate with. I loved it right away but didn't really have time to get into it as much as I wanted to until this year.

Currently, I have 5 or 6 pretty diverse pieces of music (one recorded poem as well) available to listen to on my artist page and I'm about to upload several more. I welcome you to come check them out and bookmark my page for future listening. It's at Carla J. Patterson at iCompositions.

In the past month, I've also contributed to an experimental music project I really like called Consemble. A mail art friend named Paul Ramsey is the man behind the curtain and he has created a wonderful experience there for artists and listeners alike. Come check it out because it's way too hard to explain unless you read his intro to the project. So far, I've participated in Consemble E: Electric Soul, but there are many other great musical ventures going on there at any given time. There are 4 or 5 which are still open for contributions so please consider that as well. You don't have to be a musician to add to a consemble! But, if you are a musician, there are even greater rewards in store for you because it's a place where you can play and experiment to your little heart's content and see the results within a day or two. Every time you play a consemble "CD" (you need a Shockwave plugin for your browser to do this), the music you hear is different. Here's a link for the Consemble E:

Consemble E: Electric Soul

I hope you enjoy the music and poetry. Please note, too, that I'm open to collaborations so drop me a line if you have something in mind. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home